Bundaberg Rum has been famous since always. But it seems Bundaberg Distilling Company’s Visitor Experience is fast becoming as popular as the drop itself.
Bundaberg Rum has been named World’s Best Distillery Visitor Centre, winning various categories at the prestigious International Spirits Competition for the past five years running.
Late last year, the Visitor Experience was admitted into the Queensland Tourism Hall of Fame for winning Queensland Tourism Awards three years in a row.
At the time of Crush Magazine going to print, Bundaberg Rum was eagerly awaiting the results of the 2021 Australian Tourism Awards to learn whether their Visitor Experience would also be admitted into the Australian Tourism Hall of Fame. It’s a feat yet to be achieved by a distillery.
What is it that makes their award submissions so compelling? It’s the feedback they include from the 10,000 people who visit the attraction each year. Since spending $8.5 million in 2016 to redevelop the great attraction, Bundaberg Rum has received almost 4000 Google reviews, averaging 4.6 out of five stars.
Words like ‘nostalgic, brilliant and incredible’ feature prolifically. Reviewers said the Experience was ‘at the top of the list of things to do in Queensland’. Many said they’d done the tour on several occasions and learnt something new each time. They described their tour guides as ‘informative and funny’ and said they ‘couldn’t ask for a better bunch of people’.
Bundaberg Rum’s Duncan Littler agreed the gift shop, tour and Blend Your Own Rum Experience wouldn’t be what they are without their fantastic staff.
“It takes a whole team of people – from guides and retail staff to cleaners and maintenance crews – to create and operate a truly authentic, world-class tourism attraction,” he said. “Every one of our staff is a proud ambassador for the Bundaberg Rum brand and the Bundaberg Region. To be recognised as the world’s best, makes us incredibly proud. These awards are recognition of our team’s hard work and dedication. It also motivates us to continue innovating and evolving, to ensure visitors always have a fantastic experience.”
Bundaberg Rum has won more than 200 Australian and international awards for its rum, visitor centre, tours and events.
- Outstanding in the Annual TripAdvisor Awards year after year, taking home a certificate of excellence every year from 2015 to 2019 along with the Travellers Choice award in 2020
- 2017 and 2019 winner of the Visitor Attraction Business of the year at the Business Excellence awards
- Winners of the World’s Best Distillery Experience at the International Spirits Competition in 2017, 2018 and 2019 as well as taking home Double Gold and the Trophy Winner for Best Distillery Visitor Centre and Tour in 2020 and 2021
- In 2020 they were inducted into the Queensland Tourism Awards Hall of Fame (wineries, distilleries and breweries category) and in 2018 and 2019 they took home Gold for this category.
- Gold at the Australian Tourism Awards in 2018 and 2019
Small Batch Reserve
- 2015: Dbl Gold @ San Fran & Gold In New York
- 2015: World’s Best Rum @ the World Drink Awards
- 2016: Small Batch Reserve Best Gold Rum @ the World Drink Awards
- 2016: World’s Best Rum @ World Drink Awards
- 2017: Best Dark Rum @ World Drink Awards
- 2017: Gold in San Fran
- 2019: Dbl Gold in San Fran
Small Batch Distillery Edition – Hidden Barrels
- 2021: Gold @ San Fran World Spirits competition
Summary of total awards won
- The Small Batch Reserve has been awarded a total of 36 awards since 2014 around the world.
- The Small Batch Vintage Barrel has been awarded 24 awards since 2015
- Blenders Edition has been awarded over 30 awards including Double Gold at the New York wine and spirits competition.
- Since 2014 they have been awarded over 190 awards, with 30 of those most recently being taken out in 2021
Bundaberg Rum Distillery Visitor Experience is at Hills Street, East Bundaberg. 07 4131 2999