Traditionally made with Montreal Smoked Meat, the Ruben Sandwich is a staple that you will find on every menu in Canada. While you can’t get Montreal Smoked Meat in Australia, corned meat is a great substitute.
Enjoy a traditional Ruben Sandwich at Mollydookers Cafe & Bar at Apple Tree Creek, Childers, or make it yourself.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 2
- 4 slices rye bread (any bread is fine, but rye is traditional)
- 400g corned meat, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sauerkraut
- 4 slices cheese of choice
- American mustard
- 2 pickles to serve
The best way to make a Ruben is to make four “open” sandwiches and then put two halves together to get two completed sandwiches. For a picnic-friendly sandwich, skip the oven. This sandwich is just as tasty cold.
- Heat an oven or grill to 180degrees
- On a baking tray, place four slices of bread.
- Spread mustard on all slices, then top each piece with 100g of meat, a quarter of the sauerkraut and a slice of cheese.
- Place baking tray into the oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Remove from oven and gently put together two halves, and then repeat.
- Cut and serve with a pickle